HAVE YE NOT READ?

Thursday, December 21, 2006

TO GIVE THANKS!

We have a lot to be thankful for in this great nation. The freedoms we enjoy are invaluable, but they are not without price. We should all be thankful to those who have fought, and are currently fighting, for our freedom. Don't ever take our freedom for granted.

Let's begin our study in Matthew 10 as we learn about giving thanks.

10:16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.


What protects the sheep from the wolves? The Shepherd. He is always there to protect you.

10:17 But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues;
10:18 And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles.

The elect will be delivered up, and the Holy Spirit will speak through them as a witness against the antichrist. God is in control. He will take care of His servants. You are precious to Father.

Skip with me to verse 29.

10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.

One sparrow does not fall that God doesn't know about. How much more does He care for you?

10:30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
10:31 Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.

This we should be thankful for. God counts His elect as very valuable. Why? He knows He can count on them.

10:32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.


The word "confess" in this verse can also be translated "witness". Imagine that. Jesus giving witness for you to our Father. The word can also mean " to thank". Jesus will thank those who trust in Him and know He is the Shepherd before our Father.

Turn with me to the Book of Psalms as we continue our study.

116:1 I love the LORD, because he hath heard my voice [and] my supplications.
116:2 Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon [him] as long as I live.


God always hears our requests, and grants those requests, if we are serving Him and the result is in our best interest. He is your Shepherd (Psalm 23).

116:3 The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow.


Without God in your life you will find trouble and sorrow.

116:4 Then called I upon the name of the LORD; O LORD, I beseech thee, deliver my soul.


When Jesus confesses your name before the Lord, your soul has been delivered. Salvation is yours.

116:5 Gracious [is] the LORD, and righteous; yea, our God [is] merciful.
116:6 The LORD preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me.

His mercy is something we should all be thankful for. We all sin. We all fall short at times. None of us is deserving; however, Jesus paid the price on the cross that our merciful Father can forgive our sins.

116:7 Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the LORD hath dealt bountifully with thee.
116:8 For thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, [and] my feet from falling.

The Shepherd protects and takes care of His own.

116:9 I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living.
116:10 I believed, therefore have I spoken: I was greatly afflicted:

To walk before the Lord means to serve Him. That means to plant seeds and help our brethren who are lost.

116:11 I said in my haste, All men [are] liars.
116:12 What shall I render unto the LORD [for] all his benefits toward me?
116:13 I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD.

We partake of Communion, we are taking the cup of salvation. We know that Christ is our Saviour, and we are willing to do things His way, the right way.

116:14 I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people.

Many today ridicule and mock Christians. Don't ever be ashamed to be a Christian. Stand up for your beliefs. God will bless you for taking a stand.

116:15 Precious in the sight of the LORD [is] the death of his saints.

The saints are His set aside ones, that is to say His elect. When one of the elect, or better said remnant, passes on and joins the army in heaven, it is precious in His sight.

116:16 O LORD, truly I [am] thy servant; I [am] thy servant, [and] the son of thine handmaid: thou hast loosed my bonds.
116:17 I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the LORD.


What does God want from you? It isn't burnt offerings. He wants your thanks and love. We show Him our thanks and love, when we put forth our hands to worship and praise Him.


Turn with me to Psalm 50.

50:4 He shall call to the heavens from above, and to the earth, that he may judge his people.

We have no right to judge others. There is nothing wrong with utilizing discernment, but there is only One Judge.

50:5 Gather my saints together unto me; those that have made a covenant with me by sacrifice.
50:6 And the heavens shall declare his righteousness: for God [is] judge himself. Selah.

"Selah" means to "stop, pause and meditate". What has just been said is about to be connected with what is about to be said..


50:7 Hear, O my people, and I will speak; O Israel, and I will testify against thee: I [am] God, [even] thy God.

Judgment only belongs to our Father. If you are not pleasing to Him, expect Him to testify against you. If you are pleasing Him, you can expect rewards at judgment.


50:8 I will not reprove thee for thy sacrifices or thy burnt offerings, [to have been] continually before Me.

This would probably be better translated, "You think you have been giving your sacrifices to Me".

50:9 I will take no bullock out of thy house, [nor] he goats out of thy folds.
50:10 For every beast of the forest [is] mine, [and] the cattle upon a thousand hills.

You can't offer to God what is already His. The sacrifice Father wants from you is your love. (Hosea 6:6). He has proven Himself. Have you proven yourself to Him.

50:11 I know all the fowls of the mountains: and the wild beasts of the field [are] mine.
50:12 If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world [is] mine, and the fulness thereof.
50:13 Will I eat the flesh of bulls, or drink the blood of goats?

God doesn't need us; we need Him. What does God want from His children?

50:14 Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most High:

Put forth your hands to Him in worship and praise. Put forth your hands in covenant with Father. He wants you to say, "I love You, and I am Yours".

50:15 And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.

Have you ever had any trouble in your life? Call on God, and He will help you. For the deeper student, this is particularly important in the day of Jacob's trouble.

50:16 But unto the wicked God saith, What hast thou to do to declare my statutes, or [that] thou shouldest take my covenant in thy mouth?
50:17Seeing thou hatest instruction, and castest my words behind thee.

The wicked won't listen to the Word of God. They worship Him with lip service only. He knows their hearts.

50:18 When thou sawest a thief, then thou consentedst with him, and hast been partaker with adulterers.
50:19 Thou givest thy mouth to evil, and thy tongue frameth deceit.

Don't ever be foolish enough to try to lie to God. He knows your mind. You can't lie to Father without His knowing exactly what is going on.

50:20 Thou sittest [and] speakest against thy brother; thou slanderest thine own mother's son.
50:21 These [things] hast thou done, and I kept silence; thou thoughtest that I was altogether [such an one] as thyself: [but] I will reprove thee, and set [them] in order before thine eyes.

God is the judge. He keeps very good records.

50:22 Now consider this, ye that forget God, lest I tear [you] in pieces, and [there be] none to deliver. Without God there is none to deliver you.
50:23 Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth [his] conversation [aright] will I shew the salvation of God.

God always keeps His promises.Put forth your hands in praise and thanks to Father. Put forth your hands in covenant with Him.

In closing, turn with me to Psalm 136.

136:1 O give thanks unto the LORD; for [he is] good: for his mercy [endureth] for ever.
136:2 O give thanks unto the God of gods: for his mercy [endureth] for ever.

Put forth your hands in thanks, and He will forgive your sins. Do you need His forgiveness?

136:3 O give thanks to the Lord of lords: for his mercy [endureth] for ever.
136:4 To him who alone doeth great wonders: for his mercy [endureth] for ever.

God wants you to put forth your hands in covenant with Him. He is the creator of all things. There is no other God except Him, and He is your Father. His forgiveness and unmerited favor endure for ever.

Rejoice in that!

136:5 To him that by wisdom made the heavens: for his mercy [endureth] for ever.

There is no greater wisdom, and Father is willing to share His wisdom with those who love Him.

136:6 To him that stretched out the earth above the waters: for his mercy [endureth] for ever.
136:7 To him that made great lights: for his mercy [endureth] for ever:

Skip with me to verse 26 to close this study.

136:26 O give thanks unto the God of heaven: for his mercy [endureth] for ever.

We all need His mercy and forgiveness. All you must do to obtain His mercy is put forth your hands to Him in thanks, praise and covenant.

Give Thanks!
Enjoy your studies! alisicia

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home